5 Things to Give Thanks for—No Matter What!
Mass shootings, devastating hurricanes, deadly wildfires…
With all of this happening in our world today, it might seem like there’s not much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.
But God… Two small words with the power negate all of the darkness and devastation in the world! There are many promises in Scripture that can turn our sorrow into joy and make us thankful.
Here are just a few from John 16. Jesus was speaking to His disciples of things to come. Are we His disciples? We are. So we can take Jesus’ words to heart, and give thanks for:
1. The Holy Spirit — In verse 13, Jesus said, “Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: … and he will shew you things to come.” Because of the Holy Spirit, we can know the truth that sets us free and even be prepared for anything that comes our way!
2. Jesus is coming again — Verse 22 says, “… I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you.” Jesus is coming again! Although this verse speaks of the future, no man can take our joy even now unless we let them. Hallelujah!
3. If we ask, we will receive — In verse 24, “… ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.” Now there’s a promise to be thankful for! We will receive so our joy will be full.
4. God loves us — Verse 27 tells us, “For the Father himself loveth you..." It doesn’t matter what we have or have not done. Our Father God loves us!
5. We can have peace, for He has overcome the world — In verse 33, Jesus said, “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: butbe of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” No matter what happens in this world, we can have peace because He has already overcome!
Jesus was reassuring His disciples that what looked like the end was just the beginning.
We can take those very same words to heart, rejoice and give thanks for all that Christ has done for us—No Matter What!