Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Charis Distance Education?
Charis Distance Education is a way to attend the Charis Bible College first-year program from anywhere. Experience the same classes taught by the same instructors as the main campus in Woodland Park, Colorado, without relocating.
2. How do I get started?
Choose a format (Choosing a Format), select a course (Course Descriptions), enroll.
3. Is this only for people going into ministry?
No. It is excellent ministry training. However, it is also for anyone who wants to better understand God’s Word or grow in their relationship with God.
4. Must I commit to taking all the courses in the program, or can I take only those I want?
Through the Distance Education program, you may take as many or as few courses as you want.
5. Are classes conducted live?
No. Classes are pre-recorded and accessed through the Online campus platform or delivered in the mail.
6. What can I expect in my course?
Each course is comprised of eight 40-50 minute lectures, a course outline, and an exam. Interactive courses also include a discussion component after each lesson.
7. How long does it take to complete the first-year program?
There is no time limit to complete the 39 courses that make up the first-year program. However, by completing 2-3 courses every 5-6 weeks you can finish in 2 years. To complete the program in 1 year, we recommend completing 4-6 courses every 5-6 weeks.
8. Are courses available in languages other than English?
No. At this time all content is available only in English.
9. Will Charis send me books or videos in the mail?
Self-Paced Correspondence course material will be mailed to you. Online courses, materials are delivered to you through the Online campus platform.
10. Do I have to submit an application and fee to join Charis Distance Education?
No. There is no fee or application needed to join Charis Distance Education. Once you purchase your first course you are enrolled as a student!
11. Can I take a mix of Correspondence and Online courses?
Yes. The course content is the same for Correspondence and Online courses, and you may combine courses from all the Distance Education formats towards completion of the first-year program.
12. What happens after I complete all 39 courses?
Once you have completed all 39 courses please contact us and we will send you a Certificate of Completion for the first-year program.
- General Interactive
1. How much time will each Interactive Online course take?
A single Interactive course will take approximately 2 to 4 hours each week for the first 4 weeks of the term. This includes two 40-50 minute lectures, participation in the discussions, and time for review and study. The 5th and final week of the term is for the exam.
2. Do I need to login in to my course and participate at a fixed time?
No. Once the term begins, you and your classmates are assigned two lesson per week to be completed at you convenience any time during that week.
3. When does the next Interactive term begin?
New Interactive terms start every 6 to 8 weeks continuously throughout the year. Please see the Interactive Academic Calendar for specific term dates.
4. Are lesson discussions conducted live?
No. The lesson discussions are conducted in an online discussion board dedicated to your class. Discussions are available for you to read and respond to anytime during the lesson week.
5. Who are the Facilitators in our Interactive Online courses?
Facilitators are mature believers who are well established in God’s Word. Many have served at a Charis Bible College campus as director or staff member, or within Andrew Wommack Ministries.
6. Once I have enrolled where do I login? How do I get started?
Before your lessons start, you will receive an email with all the instructions needed to login and get started. Typically, you will receive this email by the Friday before the term’s starting date. You may also view this information on How Your Course Works.
7. What Internet browser should I use for Online courses?
Please see our Browser Recommendations.
8. How long will I have access to my course?
You will have access to your course through the online platform for 12 months from the term’s start date. You may download the course lectures and outlines to your computer or auxiliary hard drive any time within the 12 month period and keep them forever.
1. Do I need to do my lessons at a fixed time?
No. You may start your course immediately after enrolling and complete it at your convenience 24/7. You have 12 months to complete your course.
2. Once I have enrolled where do I login? How do I get started?
You can login by going to charisbiblecollege.desire2learn.com and entering the user name you were assigned and the password you created when you enrolled. You may also view this information on How Your Course Works.
3. What Internet browser should I use for Online courses?
Please see our Browser Recommendations.
4. How long will I have access to my course?
You will have access to your course through the online platform for 12 months from the enrollment date. You may download the course lectures and outlines to your computer or auxiliary hard drive any time within the 12 month period and keep them forever.
- General Interactive
1. What is the difference between Self-Paced Online and Self-Paced Correspondence?
The course material is the exactly the same. The method of delivery and access to the course materials is the main difference. Correspondence materials are delivered through the mail while the Online course materials are accessed through the Charis Online platform.
2. Once I receive my materials in the mail, how do I get started?
Each course is comprised of eight 40-50 minutes lessons. Listen to the lesson, follow along and take notes with the course syllabus. In this self-paced format, you progress through each of the 8 lessons at your own pace.
3. How are the tests administered?
Once you’ve finished the 8 lessons, complete and mail the test to Charis Bible College Distance Education. For students located in the United States, allow up to 30 days for your graded test to be returned in the mail. International mail may take longer. It is recommended you keep all graded tests for your records. You do not need to wait for your test to be returned before you begin your next course.
4. How long do I have to finish my course?
There is no time limit for completing your Self-Pace Correspondence courses. You may take a break from your courses and return at any time without having to re-activate your student status.
5. I’ve not taken any courses for several years. Do I need to start over?
No. Your grades stay in our system until you continue at a later date.